Illustrated wall art
Posted by FelicityFrench, 17 Nov, 2017
Every family has its special quirks, little habits and shared loves. Bring those beautiful details to life with an inked and illustrated delight, and pop up on your wall for all to see. We like to think of it as a contemporary family crest... done the crafty way! (After all, where else will you see cake, cats, strawberries and your very own house all in the same place!?). All you need is a piece of A3 cardstock, Winsor & Newton Drawing Inks, paintbrushes, drawing nibs and a little imagination. Both Henry and William Introductory Sets of Drawing Inks come with eight brilliant shades, offering lots of scope for colourful, creative designs. Pair with the Series 7 Kolinsky Sable Brushes in sizes 2, 4 and 7, and the Miniature Painting Brushes to be fully equipped for the task ahead!
1. Draw a large circle in the centre of your cardstock. Sketch a house at the top and write your text in the middle. Doodle all your elements around the edge.
2. Apply base colours to your artwork with a Winsor & Newton Series 7 Kolinsky Sable Brush and drawing inks. Add some water if you require lighter shades.
3. When the colour is dry, use the Manuscript 4 Drawing & Mapping Dip Pens to draw details and outlines with black ink. Apply different levels of pressure for thicker or thinner lines.
4. Draw over your family name with a thin nib so that the whole area is made up of a thin black line. Carefully rub out any remaining pencil lines on the text or the illustrations.
5. Use a paintbrush to go over sections of the text. Leave some of the thin line showing in order to create the cursive style.
6. To add depth to the colour, paint over leaves with another of green. Repeat on elements like the strawberries.
Project and how-to instructions by Fliss French. Project originally published in issue 84 of docrafts Creativity magazine.