Polar bear eye mask
Sleep easier with this adorable felt creation – guaranteed to ensure you get a much-needed bit of peace and quiet! The templated shapes make it easy to assemble and the colours can be mixed up for whatever combination you choose.
1. Using the templates provided, cut out all of the pieces from Craft Planet 9 x 12'' Acrylic Felt Value Pack. The eye mask, ears and hat shapes will also need to be cut out from cotton fabric.
2. Applique the bear face features (nose, eyes and cheeks) to the felt mask base and embroider on the mouth shape underneath the nose. With outside faces together, stitch the felt and cotton eye mask components together.
3. Stitch in an elastic strap into the inside side seams. When sewing, leave a 5cm gap open at the centre top and use this to turn the mask the correct way out, pushing all corners out to achieve smooth curves. Overstitch the opening shut.
4. Stitch the inner ear shape onto the main ear felt piece. Taking the felt and the cotton earpieces, place the outside faces together and sew around the edges leaving the flat edges unsewn. Turn right side out and overstitch the ear to the mask, positioning it just above the eye. Repeat with the second ear.
5. Space contrasting small strips of felt onto the hem strip of the polar bear hat and fix in place and then onto main hat section. Place the felt and cotton hat pieces outside faces together and sew leaving the straight edge open. Turn the hat right side out and overstitch the open edge of the hat to the mask, in-between the ears.
6. Thread the petals together and tie into a knot to create a corsage. Stitch the flower onto the felt leaves and then onto the polar bear's hat. Top the corsage with a tiny button. Complete the mask by sewing a pompom to the top of the hat.
Project and how-to instructions by Amy Surey.